Nerves – and a quick update

| February 26, 2010

I cracked – or possibly have cracked. At any rate, after a quick chat online about my latest rejection, and a morning spent feeling rather down I took the plunge. I’ve sent #3 off to the publisher I mentioned.Now I’m going to spend the rest of the afternoon wondering if I’ve made a terrible mistake. […]

A long pause

| February 26, 2010

There’s been a long pause on the agent front since I last updated. This is not to say things haven’t been busy – between the cats and a growing ecommerce business, I have not had a lot of time to write.Today the silence was broken by another rejection. To be honest I’m actually happy to […]

Slush piles…

| February 19, 2010

I just got a reminder this morning of another reason not to small-press my book.Let me state, right here, right now, that I personally never want to deal with a slush pile again as long as I live. Remember, this was a small press publishing imprint. We didn’t just publish what I’d written – we […]

What was it?

| February 14, 2010

The mysterious package turns out to be not one but two rejections. For some reason the post office had taped them together (!?) so they would not fit through the letterbox. These two were polite, standard form letters with the usual encouragement, but both managed to get name and story title right so that’s a […]

Another no? Who knows?

| February 12, 2010

I got back from work today to find a slip through the door stating that the postman had tried to deliver something, but it would not fit and was back at the sorting office. As usual for the local post, it had been delivered after the sorting office had closed for the day, so I […]

Is this a hint…?

| February 11, 2010

Last night I had another look at the rejection, and realised that there actually is something odd about this. The slip is dated, and the only way it could have got there by the date on it is if Royal Mail own a Tardis. Either that, or the agent saw me coming; right as I […]

And more work…

| February 10, 2010

So, while I wait for my next rejection, and deal with the niceities of life like work, cats and more, I’m still working on No 4. At 56,900 words, it is almost ready for my beta to read again.  Unfortunately these words aren’t the ending, so he’s going to have to keep waiting for that […]

First response and it’s not good news – just funny.

| February 9, 2010

The first of my packets was waiting for me when I got back, so I opened it quickly to get the horror over with.Standard form rejection letter: “Sorry but we are not taking on new authors at this time”. It’s a polite fib, since their website is requesting new submissions, but at least it is […]

More words, and more waiting…

| February 9, 2010

55,800 words on Number 4. A bit of extra research needed on a type of flying I am not familiar with, but then not many are, so hopefully there aren’t very many people who would catch a mistake. I could write more, but real life (i.e. work) is getting in the way.Still nothing from agents, […]

Vulcan in trouble

| February 8, 2010

It looks as though XH558 may not make it past the end of the month. They have put the engineering staff on 4 weeks notice.While sad, it does not seem too surprising given that the requirement for a huge amount of engineering work for this winter was revealed in September, rather than during the airshow […]